[Gllug] Is this a silly (RAID) notion?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 22:55:59 UTC 2007

On 3 Dec 2007, riq at trw.org.uk spake thusly:
> On a more serious note, is anyone doing any research anywhere on how to
> achieve 'infinitely' long-term digital storage?

There were some posts on sci.astro about this back in 1995, and on
alt.folklore.computers perhaps a year later ;} generally there was a
tradeoff between length of reliable storage and the time you had to
wait to access the data.

(the sci.astro guys managed to win with an estimated time to data loss
of I think 50+ gigayears, with access availability every 500 million
years or so. :) )

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk