[Gllug] Is this a silly (RAID) notion?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Dec 3 13:32:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 12:33 +0000, James Roberts wrote:
> Alain Williams wrote:
> > Might seem a silly question, but power up how long for ?
> > 10 mins, 1/2 hour, overnight ?
>
> I give it all long enough to warm up and spread any lubricants around,
> plus repolarise any electrolytics. 20/30 min.

Your point re. temperatures is probably very relevant.
Even before my time (honest) my physics research group used to have data
sent back on removable disk packs and real round tapes from CERN in
Geneva. They were sent by air freight. Standing instructions were that
they had to sit in the computer room, to come to the same
temperature/humidity levels overnight before being read on the drives.

It would be interesting to find out how long the data on an average
(sealed, winchester) hard drive will last.
I guess it will be difficult to ever do a real study - as the interfaces
to drives change over time.
I'd further guess that the best chance of getting data like that would
be to revive an original SCSI drive from a Mac - in theory, given the
right cable it should be readable on any SCSI bus.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk