[Gllug] (article) Bogus bobbies raid Kings Cross data centre

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Tue Dec 18 17:35:35 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Alex Crow wrote:
>> Is that Goswell Road? Don't try what I did and try to go down the back
>
> yeah, and Braham Street.
>
>> other people in with paper passes without a confirmation process - so if
>> one dodgy person lets a few other nasties in, bye-bye lots of kit...
>
> You could argue that that's bad, but on the other hand people with RFID
> tags are supposed to be trusted, so if they can't sign people in, then
> someone else has to - someone who also is supposed to be trusted, etc.

Its why Redbus Telecity did away for RFID tags I think, as so many were
in circulation amongst former staff. Yes, when staff leave, they should
be removed from access lists, but not all ISP's are that efficient. I
believe the security requirements for working in a BT Exchange are much
higher (possible criminal record, or security clearance checks on key
staff?).

Whats really preventing a terrorist cell from renting rack space and
packing a server with a dirty or even a conventional weapon and
detonating it over the network? Some newspaper a while back mentioned
increased security at Telehouse North, but its not something that can be
purely defended by tanks and armed guards, or leaving to security guards
possibly on little more than minimum wage.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk