[Gllug] Make ghost on a dedicated server

Raphaël Benard raphy_02_4 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:55:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

Yes, for every day we do classic backup with files and no image. In fact, this image is not for backup. When the year is over, we can (my boss and me) stop the production of the server, and crash the system. Then we have one week for make all the test we want. After this week, the server must be in production again.
So for use as the best as we can this week, I am thinking than a ghost of the disk is the most fast for test a lot of system. Because Several systems mean several file systems. And if I right, rsync doesn't save the partition with the file systems ?

Thanks

> Transferring the files with rsync means you can easily deposit them
> elsewhere and you don't have to back up the whole thing every day.
>
> Restoring from an image is much slower than a quick re-install and
> rsyncing back /etc/ /home/ /var/ and anything else you care about. It's
> also likely to be less error prone (e.g. if your restore is onto a
> machine with a different sized disk you will have to start resizing
> partitions, which isn't much fun remotely)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Chris Jones
Vous êtes plutôt Desperate ou LOST ? Personnalisez votre PC avec votre série TV préférée !
http://specials.divertissements.fr.msn.com/SeriesTV.aspx
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk