[Gllug] postfix vacation

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Dec 21 12:34:06 UTC 2007

David Bell wrote:
> On Friday 21 December 2007 11:50:57 am countd wrote:
>
>> Ever the curmudgeon Martin. :) Thing is, while I feel an aversion to
>> auto responders, users demand them and it can't really hurt to let a
>> contact know why you've stopped responding to their emails for ten
>> days.

And when you are likely to be able to respond.

> Thus bombarding lists like this one with, "out of office" messages :(

You appear to have been the victim of too many poorly configured
vacation filters (probably MS ones :o) ).

Any such filter worthy of the name should a) not reply to lists (as
Andrew suggests) and b) only respond once in a decent period to each
sender. Ours (Exim-based) sends one reply to the sender per 7 day
period. On the whole Exim's setup detects lists very well. The use of
"personal" in the filter helps as well.

--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss