[Gllug] (article) Bogus bobbies raid Kings Cross data centre

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 12:59:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 9, 2007 10:25 AM, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 19:51 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > However I have never seen a police ID card and
> > would not recognise it if one was shown to me
>
> The last time I saw one (not too long ago) I was unimpressed. There was
> nothing you could not duplicate in 2 minutes with a printer and
> laminator.

Surely a national, biometric ID card scheme would solve this problem?
No wait a sec...

A call to "118 foo" for the local police station number and a call
there to verify the identity shown on the card.  About 2 minutes I
reckon.  Or 999 if the police say it's urgent.  Nobody legit is going
to even bat an eyelid.

Similar tactics deal with cold calling marketing departments asking
for personal details (mostly because their call centers are almost
never able to re-connect you) and also unexpected utility companies
wanting access to your home.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk