[Gllug] [OT] Selling GPL

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:13:44 UTC 2007

On 03/12/2007, Chris Jones <cmsj at tenshu.net> wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > I would love to see you debate that point with the head of the IP
> > department at the law firm I used to work for. :)
>
> Lots of people are militantly anti Intellectual Property. They say the
> term is deliberately trying to confuse people.

In many cases - particularly in the media, that is certainly the case.
When somebody doesn't have a clear watertight protection or doesn't
know what protection they have - they refer to Intellectual Property
Rights as some kind of magic incantation, much in the same way as
school children will claim you can't do something because it's against
their "human rights innit".

> I think it's actually quite a good way to describe the legal codifications of the
> ownership of  abstract things. Having said that, I think plenty of the
> implementations of IP law are utterly stupid, which is partly because a lot of the
> concepts are anachronistic.

Frankly - lawyers should know better - IP is a wide, ill-defined
blanket term that can be handy for grouping some sets of laws and
protections of creative works, using it as anything other than as that
pigeon hole is foolish and misleading.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk