[Gllug] Is this a silly (RAID) notion?

Riq riq at trw.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 19:44:54 UTC 2007

I would like to digress from the topic and expand on the remarks by John
Hearns about transporting magnetic tapes. I was involved in
similar use of magnetic tapes at CERN in the 60s. The only problem we
had with temperature was leaving a tape in a car in the sun.
But we had sometimes to bribe maintenance engineers to misalign a tape
drive to match the drive the tape was written on.

On a more serious note, is anyone doing any research anywhere on how to
achieve 'infinitely' long-term digital storage?
Has anyone a better idea than just copying data from the
about-to-be-obsolete medium to the just-become-accepted-as-reliable new
medium
every few years?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk