[Gllug] Server interpreted xhost entries

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 00:37:56 UTC 2007

--------

Nix writes:

>Tet, adding a localuser entry for yourself doesn't seem terribly harmful
>to me, and seems like something a distro X startup script might well
>do.

No, it's not at startup. It's at some random point mid-session.
I'll have been logged in for a while, and suddenly the entry will
have appeared. As you say, this in itself isn't particularly harmful.
However, it doesn't play nicely with Tk, which disables the Tk send
command if the xhost list is not empty (for good reason, it has to
be said). That's a problem given that my MUA (exmh) uses Tk, and
specifically Tk send.

Yes, it's a bug in Tk, which needs updating to be aware of server
interpreted entries, and to know that SI:localuser:tet isn't a
security risk when the application itself is being run as tet on
the local machine. But until that's fixed, I'd like to prevent the
entries from appearing in the first place.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk