[Gllug] offsite backup services

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:23:02 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 3:34 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:

> Are you trying to fit the entire run onto a single tape?  Invest in a
> tape changer and use backup software that can split an arcnive over
> mutiple tapes.

I have to disagree here. Backing up to tape is long beyond the point
where it's a sensible option. Rather than throw more money down the
drain, back up to disk instead, ideally over the net to an offsite
location. Storage is cheap, after all. For the volumes we're talking
about here (100s of GB), it's a perfectly valid option. If you're
wanting to scale up to serious volumes, then you need to plan things a
bit more carefully. But for what the OP asked, some kind of rsync
service is probably the best option. I can't recommend one, I'm
afraid, as I just got myself some rackspace and did it myself.

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk