[Gllug] Hard disk upgrade for older system

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Fri Dec 21 20:10:33 UTC 2007

John Winters wrote:
> It certainly isn't a problem having a total disc size more than the
> limit - the limit comes about because of some silly choices of field
> size in addressing the disc, but it applies to only a single disc at a time.

Although possibly not a problem by the time this machine was about, I've
seen machines of a couple of years older vintage hang during
autodetection of ATA disks that were "too large" by the standards of the
day. Crippling them to 32GB by using the supplied jumper can help here,
but then the OS must determine the size of the disc other than by using
BIOS calls, which ISTR was also a problem.

Unless you have a compelling reason to keep ancient hardware running,
I'd suggest ditching it for something a little newer but probably
equally worthless if you have these sorts of problems :)

Either that or buy similarly cheap disks from an online supplier with a
decent returns policy.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk