[Gllug] [Fwd: [piksel] Outrageous disaster: Ogg/Vorbis spec taken out of HTML-5]

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Dec 29 23:10:15 UTC 2007

On 20 Dec 2007, Richard Jones uttered the following:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 11:00:03PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> There are no users of Ogg Theora, and no technical advantages of it over
>> other formats. (It's bad enough that I can't imagine transcoding any of
>> my existing videos into it.)
>
> Not sure about 'no users' though.  Red Hat uses Ogg Theora for
> internal and external videos all the time.

I was being rather hyperbolic :) it's nice to see some actual users: I
was aware of RH but not of Wikipedia (probably because, as Caroline
mentioned, there's not much video there yet).

> complaining about supposed technical and quality issues with Ogg
> Theora, but frankly they appear to work fine for me.

It works OK for things without shaded colourfields in it, with its only
big problem being a far higher bitrate than is sane. Unfortunately
videos featuring human beings and videos set indoors contain shaded
colourfields, and then things get really blocky and disgusting.

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk