[Gllug] Data protection question

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Dec 6 11:59:33 UTC 2007

Alain Williams wrote:
> One student has been accused of sending racist email to another, I have been asked
> to retrieve what evidence I can. I can find the emails still in their folders and
> also look at the MTA log files.
>
> Any reason why I should not do this (I think that I am in the clear).
> (Strictly speaking I am not a member of staff, but I don't think that that is important)

The policy is pretty standard. However, since you are *not* a member of
staff you are not protected by the policy.

You need to either have a member a staff with you (I second that
opinion) or have a written instruction from a member of staff appointing
you as their agent to do the task.

There is little likelihood of an issue arising if you don't do this, but
with potential privacy implications it's better to be safe than sorry.
Given allegations of racism the whole thing could escalate wildly, so
again, better stick absolutely to best practice. You could be called as
a witness and need to have good answers ready for tricky questions
('What right did you have to look at the mail?').

What contract are you employed under? Maybe best check that out too.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk