[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 19 17:14:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:19 -0700, Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> Ah, but are they?  They may be getting the best service possible on the
> copper that is currently installed, but what if the phone company came
> out and ran a brand new line for them?  What would they get then?

They will get either a better line, a worse line or one much the same.
They will also get an enormous bill.

> I was
> living out in Cookham and about a week after I moved in the phone died
> and it turned out that the wire from the exchange to the house had
> broken due to corrosion.  They just patched it and would not replace the
> entire length with new copper no matter how much I asked them to.  As
> such, I was stuck with a sub 1mb connection.

Have you any idea how much it costs to completely replace the whole
line? It's prohibitively expensive.

> I would be unhappy if (as they did for me) their telephone
> representatives stated that I should get 2 Mb or better and end up with
> sub 1mb.  Yes, Yes, they said SHOULD but there was BT broadband in the
> house previously so they should have previous real world information to
> make this estimate.

Why? Did the line have ADSL on it before? You've already stated that the
line had problems and had to be patched.

Unless the line already had ADSL on it there is no way to know how well
it will perform for sure short of installing ADSL on the line.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk