[Gllug] Make ghost on a dedicated server

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Thu Dec 6 10:14:12 UTC 2007

Hi

Raphaël Benard wrote:
> Rsync is use for the transfer of the image, not for create the image. And it's for create the image I have a problem.

Transferring the files with rsync means you can easily deposit them
elsewhere and you don't have to back up the whole thing every day.

Restoring from an image is much slower than a quick re-install and
rsyncing back /etc/ /home/ /var/ and anything else you care about. It's
also likely to be less error prone (e.g. if your restore is onto a
machine with a different sized disk you will have to start resizing
partitions, which isn't much fun remotely)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net