[Gllug] Linux and Simple Graphics

Progga proggaprogga at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:22:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 11:56:24PM +0100, Anthony Newman wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Mick Farmer wrote:
>
> > Dear GLLUGers,
> >
> > I'm writing an application in C which needs a simple window
> > interface - click on a couple of buttons and draw lines and
> > circles on a canvas.  I run Gnome.
> >
> > What's the best system to look at?  Glut?  Mesa?  OpenGL?
> > OpenGUI?  Something else?
> >

> You'd typically use GTK in this instance, which despite its incredible
> number of features is relatively simple to get up and running.

For a Glade+GTK approach:
The interface definition will be in an xml file.  libglade will parse this
file and create the interface on the fly.  Interface definition files can be
created using Glade.  Glade can actually generate C code and bypass
all the xml stuff, but use of libglade WAS the recommended way to do it
at least until last year when I used it.

BTW, I was lucky to catch this last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/theinvestigation/
Simon Cox investigates a current affairs issue, challenging the received wisdom.
4/4: He explores the sources of the flood of spam emails which beset every
office worker.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/fileon4/fileon4_20071214-1100.mp3