[Gllug] relaying to yahoo question

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 14:48:15 UTC 2007

I'm having some problems getting email delivered to @yahoo.co[m|.uk]
addresses and wondering if anyone knows a fix.

me at my-domain.com -> procmail/Courier-IMAP/mutt
dad at my-domain.com -> virgin/telewest/ntl "isp" mailbox
sister at my-domain.com -> sister_addy at yahoo.co.uk
mum at my-domain.com -> mums_addy at yahoo.com

I find it easier to remember the addy's on my domain, plus if they
ever chose to ditch Yahoo I can just flip the redirector.

This works a charm, and has done for years.

However, of recent Yahoo! appear to be using grey-listing style
tactics for some emails, but not others.  For mails that suffer, I
continually get:

host a.mx.mail.yahoo.com [209.191.118.103]:
421 Message from (80.68.81.166) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50.
Please refer to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html

After 96 hours my exim4 gives up.

I've got SPF setup for my domain, reverse DNS and I've filled out the
long and mostly in-appropriate (for my situation) forms Yahoo point
to.  Lots of questions about how I let people unsubscribe from mailing
lists and what my privacy policies are (this is just me and half a
dozen family members.  I don't have anything commercial on this
domain/box/isp).

It got "escalated" 4 times, each with a similar but not identical long
and in-appropriate set of questions to answer and eventually Yahoo
said "Sorry, nothing we can do."

The most annoying thing is that the majority of emails are accepted
fine.  But perhaps 20-30% fall into this trap.

I'm using procmail to do the forwarding.  Each person has a (login
disabled) account on the box, and their own .procmailrc of the form:

:0
! mums_addy at yahoo.co.uk

Last time I checked, I'm not on any RBL and I've also tried routing
email for Yahoo! domains via my hosting companies SMTP server
(bytemark).  Same problem.

All told, it's perhaps a couple of hunderd emails a day across my mum
and sister (they're on some mailing lists that account for 90% of that
traffic).

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to convince Yahoo! not to
keep soft-rejecting the mail?

The only idea I have left is forwarding Yahoo emails to my Google
account and setting up a filter to redirect them accordingly to my
mum/sister @yahoo but this frankly seems insane.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk