[Gllug] [Fwd: [piksel] Outrageous disaster: Ogg/Vorbis spec taken out of HTML-5]

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Dec 20 09:52:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 11:00:03PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2007, Richard Huxton verbalised:
> > The problem is that you and I can see the value in free codecs, but if
> > you round down to the nearest 1% then there are *no* users of
> > Ogg/Vorbis.
>
> There are no users of Ogg Theora, and no technical advantages of it over
> other formats. (It's bad enough that I can't imagine transcoding any of
> my existing videos into it.)

Not sure about 'no users' though.  Red Hat uses Ogg Theora for
internal and external videos all the time.  I have heard people
complaining about supposed technical and quality issues with Ogg
Theora, but frankly they appear to work fine for me.

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/category/multimedia/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones