[Gllug] Network file server (for home use)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 22:59:18 UTC 2007

On 2 Dec 2007, Tethys outgrape:
> that's big enough. I'm not sure you could get away with running
> that many drives without active cooling anyway, though...

I have four drives in one machine, humming along for three years now
with no active cooling other than the machine's normal fans. (There's
active per-drive cooling *fitted*, but it makes such a horrendous noise
that, after reading the Google paper indicating that drive manufacturers
have been accidentally optimizing for drives that die faster when run
cool, I decided to just turn it off. No visible harm done despite all
drives running at just under 40C. Turning the cooling off reduced the
noise from the machine by nearly 15dB... maybe there's active cooling
that *isn't* a rattling horror but if so I don't have it.)

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk