[Gllug] compile & run keyboard shortcut in Emacs

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Sun Dec 16 21:09:25 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 08:50:15PM -0000, F Andersen wrote:
> I use Emacs to write my C programs but then I have to quit Emacs to compile
> and run. If there's a need to change the program, I have to open Emacs again
> and repeat the process.

Why quit?

> I'm used to using Bloodshed Dev-C++ under Windows, where simply pressing F9
> compiles and runs. Is there something similar in Emacs?

M-x compile
For running, I'd drop to a shell, or run a shell command (M-!). No doubt there
is a better way, which someone who knows way more about emacs will come up
with.

> As a beginner programmer/Linux user, I would be interested to know what
> approaches people on this list use to code their programs in Linux.

I've just tended to do things from emacs, and have a terminal window to hand.

Dan
--
Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk