[Gllug] RAID LVM and all that

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Dec 19 21:03:12 UTC 2007

I working with a system that has a normal ext3 disk containing /boot and
a three disk LVM set containing a VG with two LV's. The three disks in
the LVM (500G Western Digital Ones) are about six months old and so far
two of these disks have died. This is understandably exasperating.

So (besides giving WD disks a wide berth, I had also dropped Seagate
after some other bad experiences) the plan is to switch this set to RAID
5 and trade 500G of space for a little more reliability.

Now my question is this. I know there is a little bit of magic in the
NASH script that the boot loader runs where (I think this is right) just
at the end of the kernel initialisation LVM is switched on and the
system starts to mount the filesystems in the right places. In this
system the majority of the system is in VolGroup01/LogVol00. So if I
move that LV onto a raid set will the whole thing fall in a heap not
being able to find its filesystems? Or does MD get turned on before LVM
so that it will all hang together just fine?

Thanks in advance

:-)

Ken

believed to be clean.