[Gllug] Data protection question

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 11:27:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

I look after a mail system (MTAs, cyrus, webmail) for a customer - a college.
One student has been accused of sending racist email to another, I have been asked
to retrieve what evidence I can. I can find the emails still in their folders and
also look at the MTA log files.

Any reason why I should not do this (I think that I am in the clear).

The college 'Internet Policy Statement' contains (amongst other things):

	The staff will monitor the network for unacceptable use, and any offensive material will be removed and
	appropriate action will be taken against those involved.

(Strictly speaking I am not a member of staff, but I don't think that that is important)

and

	Internet facilities including Email and file sharing may not be used for any of the following:

	   1. the creation, internal or external transmission or downloading of any offensive, obscene or indecent images, or
		unlawful data or material
	   2. the creation, internal or external transmission of material which is designed or likely to cause annoyance,
		inconvenience or needless anxiety
	   3. the creation, internal or external or transmission of defamatory material
and more, but the above is enough.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/