[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Dec 19 12:34:30 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 12:02 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>>> Nobody offers unlimited anything in reality. There is always a measure
>>> somewhere - either in the charging or the provisioning so as to ensure
>>> the service doesn't cause losses.
>> Indeed - hence a few public campaigns (the Gadget show and PC Plus
>> magazine spring to mind) I have seen recently to prevent the (mis)use of
>> the term in advertising.
>
> Except that the Gadget show broadband campaign is utter nonsense.
>
> They simply don't understand the first thing about broadband where the
> issue is advertising unlimited rather than advertising *up to* 8Mb.

They do seem to be focussing on that but it has generated some
discussion on the whole subject among my (non-techie) friends and family
- which IMO is a good thing. Several are now beginning to realise that
the promises their ISP made may have caveats.

One friend is furious that his ISP has advertised up to 8mb and the best
he can get (because of his line apparently) is just over 1Mb. Another
has realised that his "unlimited" bandwidth (for which he pays extra) is
actually limited to 40GB and by restrictions on particular
ports/services. The Gadget show campaign can - if nothing else - raise
awareness of the false-advertising carried out by many ISPs.

--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk