[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Dec 19 19:41:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 07:22:34PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 06:59:24PM +0000, Caroline Ford wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 12:34 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> >

> > > One friend is furious that his ISP has advertised up to 8mb and the best
> > > he can get (because of his line apparently) is just over 1Mb. Another
> > > has realised that his "unlimited" bandwidth (for which he pays extra) is
> > > actually limited to 40GB and by restrictions on particular
> > > ports/services. The Gadget show campaign can - if nothing else - raise
> > > awareness of the false-advertising carried out by many ISPs.
> >
> > T Mobile has 3 different levels of unlimited service with different
> > prices. 40GB isn't too bad, I have 'unlimited' of 3GB here.
> >
> > Blocked ports are a major issue, and filtering. There seems to be no way
> > of finding out what you are going to get until you've signed up. You can
> > be cautious and pay extra for a geek friendly ISP or suffer the risk
> > that your ISP will wish to 'protect you' from loads of stuff like IRC..
>
> Best bet is probably to tunnel your IRC / other blocked connections
> through any ssh server that you have access to.  By adding lots of
> 'LocalForward' commands into your .ssh/config you can make this
> relatively painless, eg:
>
>   Host foo.example.com           # public ssh server
>     LocalForward 6667:chat.freenode.net:6667    # forward IRC
>
> You can even do full-on tunnelling of all network connections with ssh
> using the 'Tunnel' command (although I've not used it).
>
> This assumes they allow ssh.  I wouldn't even consider an internet
> connection which didn't allow ssh ...

If you're truely desperate though IP-over-DNS or IP-over-ICMP come
to the rescue ;-)

  IP-over-DNS  http://thomer.com/howtos/nstx.html
  IP-over-ICMP http://thomer.com/icmptx/

I've tied the former at a hotel before which didn't allow SSH out but
did have 'free' internet access where 'internet==port 80' :-(

Dan.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk