[Gllug] Network file server (for home use)

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sun Dec 2 17:55:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 05:42:45PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> I've determined to centralise all the photos, music, etc. spread
> across laptops and desktops at Jones HQ onto a network file server,
> mainly so that it's all in one place and can be backed up.  I need at
> least a terabyte to handle current & future storage, and really it
> should be RAID-1 + backup (in other words, 3 * the storage).  Oh, and
> fast too ...
>
> Nowadays there seems to be a new class of device which has some sort
> of motherboard and OS, and space where you plug in a certain number of
> harddrives, for example:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-SC101-Storage-Central/dp/B000AL5H7A/
>
> I just chose that one at random, but all these devices seem to get
> miserable reviews on Amazon.

There's only brand which gets consistently excellant reviews, but its
crazy expensive (though perhaps worth it) - the Infrant ReadyNAS series.
Now owned by Netgear i see, but hopefully they won't fsck it up.  This
is one example - they've got many from bare bones case wher eyou supply
the disks, to a 3 TB pre-populated version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-ReadyNAS-Gigabit-Desktop-Network/dp/B000R9PJT6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196617817&sr=8-1

I've often been tempted to get one because it can run the SlimServer
software onboard, avoiding need for a separate server for my SqueezeBox.

Dan.