[Gllug] Job Advert

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 12:10:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 11:56 +0000, Iain Gray wrote:
> Yes I guess the mail could have been construed as some sort of
> discrimination, but as this was GLUG I thought I would not be open to
> discrimination law-suits.
>
> Absolutely no offence or discrimination intended, I wanted to convey
> that the job was not senior or required vast experience.
>
> To satisfy the more litigious of you out there I shall rephrase the
> sentence to better conform AND better convey what I want.
>
> OLD:
> The role would suit someone who is young, keen and interested in
> gaming and who is happy to learn.
>
> NEW:
> The role would suit someone who is keen and interested in
> gaming, but who may not have experience, but is happy to learn.

<snip>

I think it was fine as it was - to say that the role will suit someone
who is young may be presumptuous, but isn't discriminatory.

To be really finicky: if you'd said that the job would *only* suit young
people, that might be construed as discriminatory, but even then that's
not saying you'd not employ someone who isn't young, only that you'd
expect the job not to suit such a person.

Cheers,
R.