[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 22:03:13 UTC 2007

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 21:03 +0000, John Winters wrote:
>
>> To make that completely clear - if I do a bit of work for you, and the
>> work is subject to all the usual tax charges (VAT, both slices of NI,
>> and Income Tax at 23%) then for each pound which you hand over, the
>> government gets 52/53p and I get 47/48p.  The reason we have so many
>> different kinds of tax is to disguise quite what a large chunk the
>> government is taking.
>
> When you tot up all the taxes you pay one way or another, the figure is
> way over the 53% you quote.  Even at 53%, it's obscene!  At only 53%
> you're working well into June each year before you see anything for
> yourself.

Don't forget you pay VAT on a lot of your outgoings as well, which
whacks that figure straight up to 70%.

> It'll soon be time to go - many people I know have decided to go too.

There are many ways in which it's deeply tempting to leave. There's no
shortage of other English speaking countries which have a demand for
skilled workers, and the strength of sterling means than it's possible
to emigrate and land in a better financial position vis-a-vis quality of
life than might ever be attainable in London.

> REALLY disillusioned of Muswell Hill (just found the "Tony Blair" e-mail
> in my in box folder)

What - the "we're the government, and we don't care a whit what people
actually want, now shut up and do as you're told" email?

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk