[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Feb 22 08:31:27 UTC 2007

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 17:31 +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
>
>> There have also been changes to lights and new roads and a lot of
>> money put in to increase the efficiency of buses, especially in the
>> south east.
>
> TfL ("Traffic for Losers") spent inordinate amounts of money on Siemens
> microwave bus beacons and transponders.  All the infrastructure was
> installed and commissioned over three years (up to two years ago), and
> worked really well.  Not only did buses get automatic right of way
> through junctions, but their location was known at all times, and the
> "Countdown" displays at bus stops could work accurately.  I was briefly
> involved with the project (I did some of the commissioning), and it was
> a good, solid, reliable system.
>
> Unfortunately, TfL have decided that this is yesterday's technology, so
> it is now being stripped out and replaced with GPS and a trunked Band
> III radio repeater system.  They seem to have overlooked that GPS
> doesn't work in tunnels or underpasses, and is notoriously flaky amongst
> high buildings.  Also, Band III coverage can be very sporadic in

The last two points, underpasses and urban canyons arn't really the case
  any more. The best consumer-grade chipset, SIRFstarIII which is found
in the higher end units like the GPSMAP 60CSX from Garmin are pretty
happy in all but the most narrow canyons (and by this I mean soho
pedestrian-only passages). They have no problem getting a lock indoors
so long as you're not too far from a window.

Couple this with putting the antenna on the roof of the bus and I don't
see much of an issue.

Of course, if they're using some crappy chipset...

have fun,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk