[Gllug] Job Advert

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 00:03:45 UTC 2007

Tethys wrote:

>>>It depends upon which *NIX variant you are running. Assuming Linux as this
>>>is gllug:
>>
>>>du
>>
>>I'm not aware of *any* *nix of which the above isn't true and I've used
>>most of the common ones (and some uncommon ones:) Do you know of any
>>where it isn't?
>

> OS/390, perhaps? du is part of the User Portability Utilities group,
> which is optional for a Unix system. Admittedly, virtually all of them
> have it, but it's possible there's a Unix out there that doesn't...

Unfortunately I don't have access to a zOS (that's what OS/390 is called
nowadays) box to check, but I'm pretty sure its UNIX personality does
have du. It's very similar to AIX V3 and that did. It certainly has df.

IMO it's arguable that OS/390 or zOS should be called "UNIX". They can
be because IBM possess the requisite license, but they aren't remotely
like any normal *nix system. You have to IPL (boot) them into their
native MVS style which isn't UNIX by any manner of description and then
invoke "Open MVS" mode to get a shell and a heirarchical filesystem
(which is physically implemented within datasets). I worked for a
company running UNIX (AIX) and Linux and also OS/390 and zOS, from
before MVS and its successors acquired this "UNIX" personality until
last month. I was heavily involved in interoperability, but I never
found a use for Open MVS. I tried it for a few things, but I always
found it best to "hand off" Internet communications etc. to a real UNIX
or Linux system.

Regards, Ian