[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 14:11:34 UTC 2007

On Thursday, 22 Feb 2007, Nix wrote:
>On 21 Feb 2007, David Damerell said:
>>"Rapidly rising crime", eh? We may need the proctologist again.
>Well, *fear* of crime is rising, largely thanks to certain media
>entities. Actual reported crime stats are falling but there's definitely
>some numbers-gaming going on there.

Certainly; and it may well be rising (although some redefinitions work
against numbers gaming - eg the way ASBOs make non-crimes into
crimes). But to say _definitely_ that it is rapidly rising, that's
just making stuff up.

Frankly if crime had been rapidly rising for as long as the Daily Mail
tendency has been saying it has... well, in 1901 there'd have been one
burglary and one public spitting, total.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Leicesterday, February.