[Gllug] USB-over-CAT5

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:20:03 UTC 2007

On 2/20/07, Matthew King <matthew.king at monnsta.net> wrote:

> but external ADSL modems all appear to be pretty
> crap. D-Link's DSL-320T, for example, categorically does not (according
> to their technical support) allow me to use more than one IP of my IP
> range.

Really? I'd be surprised. The 300T did.

> The next best solution, therefore, is to use the existing cable to
> transmit serial data.

The USB spec limits cable lengths to 5m. However, wikipedia claims
that can be extended to 50m by running over cat5.

> CAT5 cable has 8 wires. Ethernet uses 4. USB uses 4. 4 plus 4 equals
> 8. Perhaps you can see where I'm going?

USB uses 5, although if you can find a common ground somewhere, you
should be OK.

> Is this a good idea or am I just going to end up breaking things badly?

Not sure. I'd suck it and see.

> Actually another problem I've just thought of - getting just 4 wires
> into an RJ45 plug in the right order is going to be incredibly painful.

Why is that any worse than getting 8 in the right order when crimping
up a normal cable?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk