[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

michael norman michaeltnorman at ukfsn.org
Fri Feb 16 12:04:35 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 23:11:55 John G Walker wrote:
> I've been playing around, installing openSUSE 10.2 on a spare
> machine.I've been doing this in experimental mode, including
> overwriting my original installation.
>
> The result is that I think I may have more partitions than I actually
> need. What I have is:
>
> /dev/sda1 2.0GB   Linux swap (mount: swap)
> /dev/sda2 20.0GB  Linux native
> /dev/sda3 210.0GB Extended
> /dev/sda5 20.0GB  Linux native (mount: /)
> /dev/sda6 190.8GB Linux native (mount: /home)
>
> (There is no sda4)
>
> My question is: do I need sda2 and sda3? These were all created by the
> Suse installation process, and IIRC the original installation only
> created three partitions - one each for swap, / and /home,

As a long time SUSE user when I set up the partitions I usually go to expert
mode and create my own scheme.  FWIW that's usually swap, root and home.  I
always give home it's own partition so it can survive upgrades.  Those are my
primary partitions.  After that you can always let home have the rest of the
disc or create an extended partition and within that create any other
partitions you might want.

As to what your sda2 and sda5 contains you will need to reboot the machine and
see.  If you have problems start the installation again and when you get to
Installation Mode select other options and then repair installed system.

On the other hand If you've got no data you want to save just reinstall and
when you get to installation settings select expert and look at the options
available.  You can then accept what the installer suggests, modify that or
do your own.