[Gllug] New Linux user here ^^

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:37:26 UTC 2007

Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>>
>>> I second that. I was reminded of the convenience of killing or ignoring
>>> a thread on usenet. But alas this is a mailing list.
>>>
>> I can't speak for the other list admins but I try to let threads die a
>> natural death wherever possible.  Being told "that's enough, you may now
>> shut up" isn't the best way to end a debate.
>>

> And I agree with you - don't change. What I meant was that on usenet
> clients *I* have the ability to mark a thread as "ignored" or "killed"
> which means my client doesn't bother me with it any longer. This is
> unavailable to me on a mailing list clients - hence the alas.

It's self restraint really. This list is high traffic and the
signal-to-noise ratio is pretty poor. I currently have reasonable net
access but if/when that changes it'll be one of the first I'll have to
unsubscribe from..

There are loads of spaces for random political chat and I choose not to
subscribe to any of them.

Caroline
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk