[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 19:01:00 UTC 2007

I fail to see how the 'special case' of London congestion can be used to justify
wholesale road pricing across the UK!
In the case of the central London charging zone there are plenty of alternatives
for getting to work, so penalising car travel is a viable strategy.
In the case of the UK in general, for many people there is no viable alternative
to the car for getting to work, since public transport networks are very often
'radial' in nature.
In my younger days I worked in central london, wlaked to the station and took
the train.  Then businesses were told to decentralise - and I was forced to
drive to work, since the alternative by public transport was hopelesly
unrealistic.

If you apply the same logic to rationing food as some would do to rationing road
usage, only the rich could afford a decent diet and the rest of us would be
living on gruel !

If road usage HAS to be rationed,  doing it by price alone is not the answer
in my view.  And of course the other things worth mentioning about the proposed
'black box' scheme are:
a)  anything highly technological the Goverment gets into is either 1) a
complete cock-up  or 2) costs ten times as much as estimated or 3) both of
the aforementioned
b)  yet another setp towards '1984'

rant over

Tim