[Gllug] Re: Linux on desktop

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Mon Feb 5 00:11:43 UTC 2007

On  Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:40:49 +0000 I wrote inter alia:

> So I've looked at stuff that will run off a USB stick, both Windows and
> Linux.
[snip]
> I have tried a U3 stick and more recently a Personal Apps one, but both

Oops! My fault. Meant portableapps.

and on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 10:49:07 -0000  "Peter Ball" <CFL at marguet-ball.net>
kindly wrote in reply:

> http://portableapps.com/ will do almost everything incl Firefox, Open
> Office, the Gimp & much else besides,  will all run off usb stick, no
> installation, practically no registry changes bundled suit or mix and match
> your own.  All stuff XP most also 98.  All stuff on the portableapps site
> is tweaked to minimize footprint on host pc.

Thanks. But as noted in my post, they do leave *some* footprint, & I was
looking for something that didn't leave any! Clearly I was wrong about the
register too.

On the other hand the menu, and some of the apps (alas not the Gimp) run quite
well under Crossover Office if I stick the stick in my SuSE box at home:-)

But is there a *Linux* solution to the original problem? Given all the talk
one sees about bootable USB sticks giving portability, I'm surprised at my
experience so far.

Christopher Currie
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk