[Gllug] Accessing MS SQL Server from linux

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 13:49:59 UTC 2007

Gunde
>> WTF is with doing 'GO' after every statement?
>>

> 'GO' is interpreted only by Microsoft utilities such as the Query
> Analyzer, and it chops up a script file in so-called batches, according
> to a friend of mine who works with MS SQL.
>
> Regards,
> Gunde

Gunde is right, GO causes the tools such as query analayser to force the
execution of the code waiting to be run.

It is not manditory in any way but until GO has been called you can not
gaurentee when the code will run.

I.e. if you make a schema change and then want to manipulate this if you
dont call go there is a chance that the schema change will not have been
applied.

So on the product I work on our deployment script has to have at least a
go at the end of each individual script to ensure execution in the
desired order.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk