[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 05:41:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 00:14 +0000, Nix wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2007, Pete Ryland verbalised:
>  I think it's a conspiracy.

> Never assume conspiracy when you can assume incompetence.

The truly competent programmers left Microsoft about six years ago.
That's when "marketing" took over the whole show.

That's why Vista has huge quantities of deeply buried "legacy" code
(much of which was fundamentally broken 10 years ago).  Their CVS is a
joke (my brother worked there and will happily vouch for this) and there
is a huge amount of wasted duplication of work.

There is nobody there prepared to "roll up their sleeves" and get on
with getting the ancient rubbish replaced, or there is nobody left there
with the ability to get these essential things done.

Believe me - contrary to the marketing nonsense, Vista was thrown
together in under a year.  There is still buried BSD code in there, and
it's no longer an operating system, it's more a badly-written computer
game!

The committed Windows users will spend time and money in an effort to
circumvent the DRM, and as they realise just how restrictive it is, how
bad is is compared to previous versions (it's been compared to Windows
ME!) and how they've been sold yet another pup, the backlash will begin!

Chris