[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 08:40:04 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 Feb 2007 01:56, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
[snip]
> > And of course many of the quotes referred to people using windows
> > *at work*, not in their own businesses or domestically. Unless you r
> > the decision maker you can't do a lot about work's windows desktops
>
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This is the whole point!
>
> I'm suggesting that people /should/ do something about it, including
> spending time trying to become the decision maker.  If some CTO or
> similar has decided Windows is the way, you have to wonder if this is
> for valid reasons or because they aren't doing their job correctly.

Vote me for PM then!
I get hardware & OS free from the gov't at work, but run only non-MS @home
(barring the odd proprietary s/w which requires the other one - but on one
dual-boot machine which came with it free anyway.

The Gov gives us Windows 'cos Uncle Bill kindly gives them it for free (well,
£3x10^n actually) but as a block contract. Our very niche software won't run
with Wine (not last time I tried, anyway), and the dreadful 'Choose & Book'
will only run with IE6/7, and some of the other CfH (that's the NHS spine to
you) stuff won't even use IE7!

Mark