[Gllug] so after the DNS - Attack

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 7 21:57:09 UTC 2007

On 7 Feb 2007, tethys at gmail.com uttered the following:
> No they won't. The root servers are back up and running normally no,
> so caches will be being refreshed as normal. In order to take down
> DNS, you'd need a sustained attack on all of the root servers, lasting
> longer than, say, half the TTL of the average domain. I can't see that
> happening successfully any time soon.

Well, I've heard persistent rumours of successful attacks on and
takeovers of major routers: I suppose a sufficiently determined attacker
could penetrate a large percentage of the net's routers, lurk there,
then take them all down at once.

But that would shatter the networking layer rather than merely taking
down the naming service. I can't see any way to take that down that
doesn't also take down lower layers (e.g. global thermonuclear war with
EMP-enhanced orbital nukes, that'd do it: I doubt many of the root
servers are in Faraday cages with their power supplies).

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names