[Gllug] [ANNOUNCE] GLLUG Meeting Thursday 22nd Feb - Puppet, beer and curry

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 15 20:37:29 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

The next GLLUG meeting will take place on Thursday 22nd Feb, starting at
19:00hrs and we have  Luke Kanies talking about Puppet.

We will be meeting at the Fotango offices (
http://www.fotango.com/contact_us.htm ) and need to be out by 20:45.

-----
About the talk :

Puppet is a configuration management framework capable of Puppet is a
system administration automation framework, written entirely in Ruby.
The big difference between Puppet and other frameworks is that Puppet
provides an abstraction layer between the sysadmin and all of those
messy operating system details -- instead of caring about how useradd or
crontab work, you talk about users and cron jobs, and Puppet will figure
out how to create or modify the objects as necessary.  This allows you
to focus on data specification, and Puppet translates the specification
into functional operating system details.

Project page : http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet/index.html

-----
About Luke :

Luke Kanies is a 31 year old system administrator turned developer
living in Nashville, Tennessee. He has been a Unix and Linux
administrator for ten years, and has spent the last five years focused
on developing automation frameworks. In 2003 he founded Reductive Labs
to work on new open source automation and administration tools, and
Puppet is its first major project.

-----
After the talk + q & a we will head off to a local Pub ( Recommended by
the london.pm folk ) The Masque Haunt. It's a Wetherspoons pub, but
should fit the entire group in it. (
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/49/4959/Masque_Haunt/Old_Street )

Some of us will be heading off for a Curry after, everyone is welcome to
join in.

- KB

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk