[Gllug] ssh problem doing my head in

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann tom at schutzer-weissmann.net
Thu Feb 1 22:29:47 UTC 2007

I cannot ssh from my linux box at one of the places I work. After
authentication the thing just hangs.

From what I can discover, the problem could be: the host I'm connecting to has
a problem (but I've tried lots, and I can connect to them from elsewhere),
DNS is badly configured (maybe), or a router en route can't handle tcp
windowing correctly - http://kerneltrap.org/node/6723

I _can_ connect fine using putty on Windows. Does that mean I can assume that
the DNS setup is ok? The other thing I checked is that a reverse lookup of
the public IP address gave me a hostname that resolves to the same IP
address. It does, is that enough to discount DNS?

So perhaps that leaves the TCP windowing issue. I've tried the workaround,
which is

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

It doesn't make any difference. I even logged into the router and did the
same, plus ca change.
I'm stumped! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,
Tom SW