[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Feb 23 06:24:17 UTC 2007

On Friday, 23 Feb 2007, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 00:09 +0000, David Damerell wrote:
>>The last one won't happen to me because I don't break that particular
>>law, a simple and straightforward remedy - and how exactly would that
>>make me a victim of crime, anyway? It would make me a criminal.  Do
>>you _not_ want criminals to be punished, all of a sudden?
>Some of the locations of those speed cameras are criminal!

I notice you're avoiding the question. How come you're the criminals'
friend all of a sudden?

I guess burglars might complain if the police start (in your fantasy
world) investigating burglaries not traffic offences. Apparently it's
not acceptable for the police to look into any crimes you personally
feel like committing. Frankly, since burglars occasionally kill people
and motorists kill people every day, they'd have a slightly better
point than you, not that that's saying much.

>In some
>instances, they're dangerous - like on the North Circular where foreign
>drivers aren't sure of the limits and slam on their brakes when they see
>them,

I never was a big fan of the idea of warning criminals that they're
about to be caught, no.

>or like Highgate Hill where a downhill speeding motorist will
>cause an uphill driver to get a face full of photo flash!

'taint that bright.

>>As for the first two, I've yet to see any actual evidence that they're
>>any more likely today than they were ten years ago. Obviously they
>>happen sometimes; that is not really a new fact.
>You won't see any evidence because the real information isn't made
>public.

We don't know, so whatever you say must be true? No thanks. I'm rather
suspicious of this sort of "the lurkers support me at dinner parties"
- one of the previous times we had the Daily Mail fanclub out on GLLUG
(over the alleged increase in silly litigation) someone's expert
personal injury solicitor friend quoted a straight-up urban myth at us
as plain fact.

Burglaries are a particularly ridiculous example, actually, and you've
mentioned why it is yourself. Since reporting is necessary for
insurance claims, it's extremely hard to massage the figures. Unless
you want to claim contents insurance has gone massively out of
fashion?

Today is Brieday, February.