[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 21 22:57:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, 21 Feb 2007, John Winters wrote:
>I suspect that Christopher's calculation refers solely to the part of
>your salary taxed at the higher rate.

Which is obviously nonsensical, of course.

>As a general purpose metric I prefer to look at the modal tax band (in
>the case of the UK this is currently 23% IIRC) and then work out what
>percentage of your total earnings (including both bits of NI, and VAT on
>what you buy) in that band goes to the government.

Here's that assumption that I use my entire salary buying VATable
stuff again. I don't.

[Of course you know this, but unsurprisingly Chris has taken your
figure as a minimum and then suggested the real one is higher by
handwaving.]

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Gloucesterday, February.