[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 18:42:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 09:44 +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Just a further log thrown on the fire:-
>
> I personally believe that the governments 'green' taxes of one sort or another
> are simply a cynical ploy to screw yet more money out of people whilst
> pretending it is helping to save the planet.

That's becoming abundantly obvious!  This government has bankrupted this
country with their stupidly profligate spending on a health service that
employs more "managers" than medical staff, on misguided and ineffective
IT projects, on "social" projects which are little more than social
manipulation, and on a deliberately ineffective "education" system. (The
last thing this government want is an educated populace!).

Their increasingly desperate attempts to tax everything have resulted in
a personal tax burden that is amongst the highest in the world.  If you
pay "higher rate" income tax, when you take into account "National
Insurance", "Council Tax", fuel duties, VAT and all the rest, you're
lucky to see 30% of your earnings!

The welfare state is all very well, and a laudable idea, but it has been
taken to the point where roughly 35% of families have NO earned income
and live entirely on "benefits".

I'm still proud to be British, but it's rapidly getting to the point
that living here is no longer tenable.  My wife and I - both highly
trained in our respective fields - are seriously considering looking for
another country to live in.  We can sell our property easily at vastly
more than we paid for it, and can easily export our skills, expertise
and wealth to a country that will value us for the abilities we bring
and won't tax us into penury!

Chris  aka Disillusioned of Muswell Hill!