[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 23:00:10 UTC 2007

On 18 Feb 2007, Mike Brodbelt stated:
> One of my existing home systems is initramfs based (an earlier version
> of your init script, in fact, with a uClibc based busybox/buildroot
> environment).

:) feel free to upgrade: the latest version on the linux-raid wiki
can handle non-RAIDed systems as well, and parses /etc/fstab to find
your root filesystem...

>               I didn't think when I built it that GRUB understood
> filesystems within LVM on a RAID 1 set - can it handle these now?

As far as I know GRUB can't handle RAID at all. LILO can handle RAID-1
and LVM (barely) but not both at once.

GRUB is quite a disappointment to me: LILO is so cruddy in so many ways,
yet GRUB manages to come in worse in virtually every situation in which
I've actually needed a non-simpleton bootloader :(

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names