[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 22:56:59 UTC 2007

On 22 Feb 2007, John Winters stated:

> Richard Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 06:25:53AM +0000, John Winters wrote:
>>> I agree however that the figure of 53% is obscene.  When I'm supreme
>>> controller of the universe I will impose an absolute limit of 25% on
>>> all government taxation - calculated cumulatively.
>> So you're OK with some people becoming really very rich indeed (so
>> rich that they have far more money than they or their children could
>> conceivably spend)?  And with the consequent problems that creates,
>> including distortion of government itself?
>
> That's taking the art of non-sequiturs to really silly extremes.  I've
> made no comment on any of that, but since you ask, no I'm not in
> favour of any of the things you mention, but nor is taxation the right
> way to prevent them.

I thought that was the only purpose of inheritance tax... to stop
individual families acquiring excessive wealth (and, historically,
explicitly to prevent them acquiring government-challenging levels of
power).

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names