[Gllug] USB-over-CAT5

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Wed Feb 21 08:39:33 UTC 2007

Matthew King wrote:

> The next best solution, therefore, is to use the existing cable to
> transmit serial data. Lots of very expensive devices are available to
> coerce USB or RS232 onto IP, however I am considering a more
> basic configuration on which I ask GLLUG's advice:

> \
>  \
> R |
> O |-USBA-\                         /-USBB-<RS232 device>-...
> U |       \====} CAT-5 Cable {====/
> T |       /====}             {====\
> E |-RJ45-/                         \-RJ45-<SWITCH>-...
> R |
>  /
> /

I have tried using the spare pairs for remote shutoff. I can't see any
reason why this should not work with RS232, but USB2 has max length of
5m between hubs (USB 1 less I believe).

A simple way to do this would be to buy a pair of cable extenders and
modify those.

Don't forget to label it up though :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk