[Gllug] Job Advert

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 8 08:27:22 UTC 2007

On 7 Feb 2007, Iain Gray spake thusly:
> I work for a big and well known (console) games development studio and
> I am looking to employ a new person in my team to help support the
> online games we run.
>
> PL/SQL scripting skills

Oh god. Time was when games development was cutting edge. Now it needs
PL/SQL (for the server side, of course, but still ARGH).

I'll go and kill myself now. It's quicker that way.

(FWIW, if you know Ada and SQL, you know PL/SQL, as long as you're
willing to unlearn all the advanced bits, like pointers, and all the
bits that are actually demonstrably useful or pleasant to use, like
generics and properly ranged types.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go to work and wrestle a heap of
PL/SQL and another heap of XSL. I'm trying to find out why the XSL takes
so damn long to parse. Need I say that it *only* takes that long to
parse with Oracle's XSL processor? Need I enumerate the empty set of
profiling tools and diagnostics that Oracle provide to figure out
where the hell that sloth is coming from? Gah.)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names