[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 03:09:28 UTC 2007

damion.yates at gmail.com writes:

>New people who think Linux is catching up, with no memory of how it
>was ahead before, and make the comments as I quoted above, are just
>annoying.

No memory of how Linux "was ahead before"? Well, I'm fairly confident
that I've been using Linux (and Unix before it) for longer than you,
and I can't recall a time when it "was ahead" on the desktop[1]. Sure,
it's better *for me*, and has been since time immemorial. But for
the average, non-technical user, the only way you can claim it is
(or has been) better than Windows is by looking through some *very*
rose tinted glasses. There has been a fair amount of progress made
recently, but there's still a surprisingly long way to go. Indeed,
much of the progress has been slow. It's been a case of two steps
forward, and one step back, and I'm still not convinced we're heading
in entirely the right direction.

Tet

[1] The server, of course, is another matter entirely. Windows has
    never come close to even drawing level there.