[Gllug] BBC Consultation with Microsoft only question

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 06:15:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 23:28 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:

> > http://smallr.com/1yl (www.bbc.co.uk)
>
> See pages 8 .. 11.
>
> They note (at the bottom of page 10) that they should be platform agnostic,
> and then at the start of page 11:
>
> 	We propose to require the BBC Executive to adopt a platform-agnostic approach to rights
> 	management within a reasonable timeframe. The MIA notes an expectation that the BBC
> 	Executive plans to develop a Real Player alternative in the near future. Our understanding is
> 	that the BBC Executive aspires to offer an alternative DRM framework, which would enable
> 	Apple and Linux users to access the service, but has yet to identify a satisfactory solution. In
> 	either case, we will expect this to have been addressed within 24 months.
>
> So they are thinking in the right direction, but I agree that a note to
> would be a good idea. Send to: pvtconsultation.ondemand at bbc.co.uk
>
> I am also concerned that they seem to be limiting access through NTL/Telewest.

There is no DRM mechanism that actually works properly - every iteration
of every method is rapidly "broken".  All that DRM does is inconvenience
the non-savvy user, and just increase the download overhead for everyone
else.  The BBC service should be entirely DRM-free and use a format
that's available to users of any platform.

Chris